This article contains exciting news about our sassy and smart multi-talented musician, Waje. The Biographies, net worth, career preferences, philanthropy, awards, nominations and every little detail you did not know about Waje are contained in this post.
Waje whose real name is Aituaje Iroube is a one of the most popular and a favorite of many in Nigeria. It would interest you to know that the word “Waje” does indeed have meaning. It is an acronym for “Words aren’t just enough.” Waje as we all know her has one of the most amazing vocals and is a Nigerian singer and actress.
Waje was born on the 1st of September in the year 1980 in Akure, Ondo State. After her birth, she and her family moved to Benin City in Edo State where she spent her early years. She is the first child of her parents, born to Emerald Iruobe.
Getting to Benin was one thing, but seeing her parents divorced at such a young age was another entirely devastating event. But it did happen. She concluded her secondary education in Benin at the prestigious Word of Faith Group of Schools and joined the choir in that school.
A young singer blessed with a fantastic vocal that could hit well over three Octaves, she sang to the Gospel tunes to the fascination of the late Archbishop Benson Idahosa of the Church of God Mission International. The Archbishop Benson Idahosa sponsored her through the rest of her secondary school education.
She did her tertiary education at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka where she received a degree in Social Works.
Waje began her music career while within the tertiary institution in Nsukka. In correspondences with the media, She has cited the likes of Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin as role models and critical influence’s that led towards her moving into the music Industry on a full-time basis.
At the University, Waje did more of singing than her academic work and worked part-time in tourism. However, she was able to balance all three essential aspects of life quite admirably.
In 2007, while still in the University, Waje took an even more significant step into music by doing a lot of gigs and free shows, singing at every given opportunity. Her first outbreak was when she featured in the P-Square hit track at that time “Bizzy Body” in 2007. She became a favorite voice in 2008 after she featured (on a vocal scale) in the P-Square’s hit track ‘Do me” at that time.
This particular track fast became a National Anthem across Nigeria as far as Africa and some parts of Europe. It was a significant boost to her music career and a ledge that made her famous in the Entertainment Industry.
Later that year, she participated in a reality TV show “Advanced Warning” which featured many artists on the verge of becoming popular. This show is aired by MTV Base South Africa and sponsored by Zain Nigeria. At this show, she excelled high as “the First runner-up.” This brought her into the limelight, and she began to perform on many stages across Nigeria and Internationally. She has performed with many top musicians such as M.I, Yemi Alade, Wyclef Jean, Kerry Hilson, P-Square and a host of many others.
Her first studio album was launched in 2013 and was titled “W. A.J.E.” It was this album that brought the true meaning of her name to the limelight. Some of her most popular collaborations include the M.I’s One Niara, Left for Good by Patoranking and Goodwin Strings. In 2015, she participated in the ONE campaign initiative titled “Poverty is Sexist.” At this campaign, she did a verse in the theme song titled “Strong girl.” Her most recent hit single is “Mountain”(2017) in which she featured South Africa powerhouse LIRA.
It would interest you to know that Waje has indeed featured as one of the judges at “The Voice Nigeria” alongside other favorite musicians such as Tuface Idibia, Patoranking and Timi Dakolo. Waje also participated at the 25th Annual Diva singing concert in Hollywood which featured other known Artists like Angela, Erica Campbell, Shanice, Winbush, Yoyo, Freda Payne and Mary Wilson.
Her Manager is Godwin Tom, while her brother, Charles Iruobe, works as her Assistant. Besides her music career, Waje has also had exciting times in the field of Acting. She has featured in a movie titled “Tunnel” which saw the likes of Patrick Doyle, Nse-Etim, Femi Jacobs and many others. Waje also featured in a Comedy series “The Jenifa’s Diary” which is hosted by Funke Akindele.
Waje also has a sister, Amaka Iruobe who is an actress and has featured in a soap opera ‘Tinsel” and the movie “First Cut.”
At the tender age of 18 while still in Secondary school, Waje had a daughter, Emerald Iruobe, but although it was a difficult time, her mum stood by her and helped her further her education up to where she is today. In an interview, Waje stated “Nothing to hide! I am a proud single mother”. She is indeed proud of her daughter who is at the University at the time.
In an Interview, Waje revealed that she is an excellent cook and was well known for her famous chin-chin while in the University. Today she lives with her daughter, mum, and siblings in Lagos and has managed to keep her relationships under tight wraps. However, she is besties with Omawunmi and Jennifer Alegieuno.
Waje seeks to work with young ones and help them become better in the Society. This she has shown in many competitions and campaigns. One of which is her very one organization in her community tagged “Waje’s Safe House” She has teamed up with many non-governmental organizations to further her cause to eradicate poverty and provide funds for the development of children academically.
Waje Iruobe’s Discography
Waje has done only one album, W.A.J.E but she has a host of collaboration and guest appearances with many different famous artists. Some of her music hit tracks and collaborations are contained below.
- I Wish
- Oko Mi
- Na The Way
- Mma Mma
- African Child
- So Inspired
- Spirit of Africa
- Omni Knowest
- Left for Good
- Coco Baby
- Onye FT Tiwa Savage
- No, Be Yoo
- For A Minute
- I Wish
- One Naira
- Do me
- No Be You
- Fine Girl
- Time Na Money
- No Tomorrow
- Black and White
- One More Time
- Grind FT Burna Boy
- In 2011, She received “Best Rythm and Blues Singer” Award at the City People Entertainment Awards.
- She also received an award for “Best Female Vocalist” at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards in 2011
- “Best Female Vocalist Award” at the Hip Hop World Awards in 2011
- In 2011, she received the award for “Best African Act” at the DEAFA Afro-Europe Awards
- In 2010, she won the “Best Vocal Performance Award” at the South-South Awards.
- She received for the “Best Female Performer Award” at the South-South Awards in 2012.
- In 2013, she received for “Musician of the Year Award” at the City People Awards in 2013.
- “Best Reggae/Dancehall Award” at The Headies in 2013
- She received an award “World Best Female Entertainer” and “World Best Entertainer” at the World Music Awards
- In 2014, She received an award for “Best Female Artist” at the ELOY ( Exquisite Lady of the Year) Awards 2014
- In 2009, She received an award for “Best New Video Award” at the Nigerian Music Video Awards.
- She won the award “Best New Act” at the Dynamix Awards at 2010
- In 2010, She received an award “Best Vocals” at the Hip-Hop awards.
- She also won an award “Best R&B Female award” at the City People Awards.
- She received an award for “Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year” and “Best New Act of the Year,” at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2011
- In 2011, She received an award for “Best Vocal Female Performer Award” and “Best R&B Single Award” at The Headies in 2011
- In 2013, She received awards for “Female Music Art of the Year,” “Most Gifted Female Video award” and “Best Contemporary Afro Video Award” at the Exquisite Ladies of the Year Awards, Channel O Music Video Awards,Nigeria Music Video Awards respectively.
- She received an award for “Best International Act” at the Black Canadian Awards in 2014
- Waje also received an award for “World Best Album” and “World Best Live Act” at the World Music Awards in 2014.
- In 2014, She received an award for “World Best Female Entertainer Award” and “World Best Entertainer Award” at the at the World Music Awards.
- Best Female Artist Award at the ELOY Awards in 2014.
Net worth/ Endorsements
Waje is an Ambassador for the Bono’s ONE campaign initiative in Africa. She was also an Ambassador for Globacom Nigeria at one time. She is one of the most influential and most affluent female artists in the Nigerian Music Industry. She is estimated to have a net worth of $1.7 million.