Stephanie Okereke is a popular Nigerian actress, film director and producer. She is also a former model and beauty queen and was the runner up of Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) Pageant in 2002.
She was born into a family of eight on 2nd October 1982 in Ngor Okpala in Imo State. Stephanie is the sixth child in the family.
Her attended schools for her primary and secondary education at Delta State, Nigeria before she moving to the University of Calabar in Cross River State for a degree in English and Literary studies.
Stephanie Okereke made her debut in Nollywood in 1997 in the movies Compromise 2 and Waterloo.
She contested in the MBGN pageant where she came second in 2002.
The actress continued acting and later enrolled at the New York Film Academy in 2007, and on her return delved into movie directing.
Her first movie as a director was “Through the Glass” where she was the script writer, director and producer. The movie was a success a went on to win the award of Best Screenplay in 2009 at the Africa Movie Academy Award (AMAA) and the award came with a brand new car.
She also produced a movie “Dry” which was inspired by the true life stories of women who had to contend with the challenges of Vesico Vaginal Fistula (VVF) as her way of lending a voice to the “Child Not Bride” Campaign.
The movie went on screening in several African countries including Nigeria, Zambia and Gambia.
Stephanie Okereke has acted in more than 150 movies so far and these include:
- Compromise 2 (1997)
- Pretender (2002)
- Blind Justice
- Aristos (2003)
- Emotional Crack
- Genesis of Love
- Private Sin
- Queen Sheba
- The Cross of Love
- Together as One
- Beautiful Faces (2004)
- Critical Decision
- Deep Loss
- Diamond Lady
- Dream Lover
- Eye of the Gods
- In the Name of Love
- Last Girl Standing
- Magic Moment
- Mama-G in America
- Miss Nigeria
- More Than a Woman
- My Mother My Marriage
- Official Romance
- Promise & Fail
- Promise Me Forever
- Right Man for Me
- Sensational Spy
- Strength of a Woman
- To Love Again
- Virgins Night Out
- Working Class Lady
- A Time to Die (2005)
- Days of Bondage
- Guys on the Line
- Lonely Hearts
- .. the Morning Sun
- Price of Ignorance
- Princess of Wealth
- Royal Battle
- Street Fame
- Woman on Top
- Behind the Plot
- Daytime Lovers
- Shut In
- The Law Students
- The Preacher
- Upside Down
- A Time to Love
- Governor’s Wife
- Mission to Nowhere (2008)
- Hidden Treasure
- Through the Glass
- Reloaded (2009)
- Dry (2014)
- Make Me Fabulous (2015)
- Boonville Redemption (2016)
She has received so many awards as a result of her outstanding performance in her career. Some of these awards are;
- Runner-up at the 2002 Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria
- Best Actress – English at the 2003 Reel Awards
- Best Actress at the 2003 What a Year Awards
- Award for Excellence at the 2004 Film Makers of Nigeria
- Most Outstanding Actress at the 2004 Afro-Dublin Awards
- Best Actress at the 2006 Afro Hollywood Award
- Best Actress in a Leading Role 2009 5th Africa Movie Academy Awards for her role in Reloaded
- Achievement in Drama and Entertainment at the 2013 Montage Africa Women of Excellence Awards
- Movie with the Best Social Media at the 2015 Best of Nollywood Awards
- Best Actress at the ZAFAA Global Awards
- Best Nigerian Movie at the 12th Africa Movie Academy Awards
- Narrative Feature at the Pan African Film Festival Programmers’ Award
- Best Protagonist at the Bentonville Film Festival
- Best Overall Movie in Africa at the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards
- Face of Nollywood at the DALA awards
- Best Actress in a leading role at the NAFCA Awards
- Best Supporting Actress at the 2017 Truth Awards based on her role in Boonville Redemption
Personal Life / Relationship
Stephanie Okereke is an achiever who has surmounted so many obstacles most notable being an accident in April 2005 which almost cost her life, leaving her with burns and bone fractures.
The accident occurred while she was traveling to Bayelsa State for the African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA).
She has been married twice and was first married to Footballer Chikelue Iloenyosi on the 31st of August 2004 until the marriage hit the rocks in January 2007.
Her reasons for quitting the marriage included infidelity and treachery which were some of the reasons disclosed on her divorce filings.
Stephanie again married Linus Idahosa in April 2012 at a private ceremony in Paris, France. The marriage is blessed with a son born in October 2015.
Stephanie Okereke was involved in some controversy with an author Daniella Madudu who claimed copyright infringement on her book titled “Behind Her Veil” over the movie “Dry”.
She was subsequently slammed with a N100 million lawsuit by the author who claimed that major parts of her book were used without any acknowledgment in the movie.
However, Stephanie responded by drawing attention to the fact that the movie was registered with the National Copyright Commission since 2012 while the book was officially published in 2014.
Despite this, the movie “Dry” was a huge success receiving local and international acclaim including awards.
Stephanie Okereke Net Worth
Stephanie Okereke has achieved a good measure of financial success in her career as an actress and film maker and is estimated to be worth about $3.2 million