Omotola Jalade Ekeinde is a famous Nigerian actress, singer and human rights activist. She was born on February7th in the year 1978 in Lagos State, Nigeria. Omotola is a native of Ondo state, Nigeria. She was born into a family of five consisting of herself, two brothers and her parents. Her mother, Oluwatoyin Jalade worked in J. T Chanrai Nigeria Limited while her father worked with YMCA and the Lagos Country Club. She attended Chrisland School, Opebi and Oxford Children school for her primary school education from 1981 to 1987, Command Secondary School, Kaduna for her secondary school education from 1988 to 1993, she finally completed her training at Yaba College of Technology where she studied Estate Management from 1996 to 2004.
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Biography
While Omotola waited for her school result, she went into modeling. She never planned to go into acting, but an opportunity came by chance when she accompanied a friend to an audition. Omotola was urged by her friend to partake in the audition which later got her a lead role in her debut movie, ‘Venom of Justice’ in 1995. She finally got her breakthrough in the movie industry when she played the role of a sickle cell patient who was fighting for her life against all the odds in the movie, ‘Mortal Inheritance.’ Her performance in the movie brought her to recognition and won her several awards including Best Actress Overall and Best Actress in an English Speaking Movie at the THEMA Awards in 1997, Omotola being the first young actress to earned a THEMA Award. After that, she starred in so many movies.
Due to her success in the Nigerian Film Industry and her way of interpreting her role, she soon moved up to the A-list alongside other prominent actors and actresses in Nollywood such as Stella Damascus, Genevieve Nnaji and Pete Edochie.
Omotola starred in a first cinematic movie role when she played a role in ‘IJE’ in 2010 alongside Genevieve Nnaji. The movie was the highest grossing film in the West African Cinemas. She followed on starring in the movie, ‘Last Flight to Abuja’ in 2012 which was also a massive success in the film industry.
In 2011, Omotola was invited to attend Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California in recognition of her part in Amnesty International and her song ‘Barren Land’ which was featured in the Public service announcement that addressed the Shell oil spill in the Niger Delta.
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Music Career
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde propelled her music career in 2005 with the release of her debut album titled ‘GBA.’ The album featured songs like, ‘The Things You Do To Me’ and ‘NaijaLowa.’ She later released her second album, ‘Me, Myself & Eyes’ produced by Paul Play and Del B. The album contained singles like, ‘Through The Fire’ featuring Uche and ‘Feel Alright’ featuring Harrysong.
Omosexy as her fans know her is also a writer. She was offered her column in OK! Nigeria which is now famous and labeled ‘Omotola’s Dairy.’ She writes about her life, experiences and her point of view in several matters. Omotola also writes personal poems and co-writes some scripts for many movies she has starred in. Omotola is also the first Nigerian actress to have a reality show which she started in late 2012. The reality show ‘Omotola: The Real Me’ airs on Africa Magic TV and is the most viewed television series in Africa.
Omotola is a fierce human right activist and philanthropist. She has an NGO called Omotola Youth Empowerment Project (OYEP) which brings over a hundred youths together for empowerment talks and conventions. One of her projects include the 20 Widows Makeover which operates under the remembrance of her late mother. On the 2nd of November 2014, Omotola spoke at the WISE Summit held in Doha, Qatar. She is the UN Ambassador for the World Food Programme (WFP) since 2005 going to missions in Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Awards and Achievements
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde has earned numerous awards ever since she came into the movie industry and also for her other endeavors in helping the world become a better place. Some of the awards she has received are:
- The THEMA Award for Best Actress English and Best Actress Overall for the movie ‘Mortal Inheritance’ in 1995.
- Best Actress award at the City People Awards for Excellence in 1997.
- Best Actress and Grand Achiever award at the 2004 Global Excellence Recognition Awards.
- Best Individual and Symbol of Creativity award at the Civil Enlightenment Organization of Nigeria (CEON) in 2004.
- NUSEC Award for Best Actress in 2004.
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role award in the 1st Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) in 2005.
- Most Friendly Actress Award at the 2006 Youth Benefactor’s Awards.
- Best Actress – Africa Collaboration award at the Ghana Movie Awards in 2011.
- Eloy Award for Actress of the Year (Ties That Bind) in 2011.
- 2011 Screen Nation Award for Pan African Best Actress.
- Film Actress Icon award at the Black Entertainment Film Fashion Television and Arts Awards (BEFFTA) in 2011.
- GIAMA Humanitarian Award for her NGO ‘Omotola Youth Empowerment Foundation’ at the Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards (GIAMA) in 2012.
- Popular Inline Choice award at the Nollywood Movies Awards in 2013.
- Ebony Vanguard Award at the Music Video and Screen Awards (MVISA) in 2013.
- 2016 City People Social Media Award for Female Entertainment Personality.
- Best Actress award at the Nollywood Travel Film Festival in 2016.
- Best Actress award for the movie ‘Alter Ego’ at the 2017 Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival.
- Best Actress in a Movie/TV Series for the movie ‘Alter Ego’ at the Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards (AMVCA) in 2018.
Omotola was listed in the TIME Magazine Most Influential People in the World in 2013 alongside Beyonce, Michelle Obama,and Kate Middleton. She was also handed a Chieftaincy title by the Royal King of Ondo Kingdom, Oba Victor Kiladejo on the 9th of November 2013.
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Husband, family
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde is happily married to Pilot Captain Matthew Ekeinde, who is a renowned pilot and aviation personality. They got married in 1996 and are blessed with four children, Princess Ekeinde born in 1997, M. J Ekeinde born in 1998, Meraiah Ekeinde born in 2000 and Micheal Ekeinde born in 2002.
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Movies (Selected Movies)
- The venom of Justice (1995)
- Blood Sisters (2003)
- When Love Dies (2003)
- Mortal Inheritance (1996)
- Alter Ego (2017)
- A Private Storm (2010)
- Games Women Play (2005)
- Last Flight to Abuja (2012)
- The Tribunal (2017)
- Ije (2010)
- Under Fire
- Ties that Bind (2011)
- The Island
- Blood on the Lagoon (2014)
- Temple of Justice
- Up Creek a paddle (TBA)
Omotola Jalade Songs
- Barren Land (2014)
- Strong Girl; Remix (2015)
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Net Worth
Omotola is worth an estimated $3 million.