MI Abaga is a Nigerian songwriter, singer, rapper, producer and actor who is strongly associated with rap music and one of the most prolific rappers on the Nigerian music scene and African continent. This article is about his biography and other things you may not have known about him.
MI aka Mr. Incredible was born Jude Abaga on the 4th of October, 1981 in Jos, Nigeria to pastor parents; Pastor and Mrs. Abaga. He originally hails from Takum in Taraba State of Nigeria and is a member of a family of five all male children.
MI attended the Baptist High school in Jos, Nigeria and then went to Calvin College in Michigan, United States of America to study Business Administration. He came back and went in music at a time where Nigerian rappers were going extinct proving himself and gaining massive follower-ship. He has contributed his own quota towards making hard core rap popular and acceptable in the industry raising protegees like Ice Prince Zamani and Jesse Jagz in the process.
Interestingly, MI music career started as a kid when his mother bought him some musical equipment to practice with. At the same time he studied musical works of some famous American artistes that eventually got him inspired. He polished his craft by performing at hip hop shows organized at college in Michigan and the fact that he was a good poet equipped with for good lyrical content.
On his return to Nigeria in 2003 he went fully into music in Jos where he lived and there released his debut single titled ‘Safe’.
Remarkably, the song was successful and received massive airplay on radio and TV stations across the country, and this success propelled him to release his album titled “Talk About It” in 2008. He also released his first mix tape titled “Illegal Music 1” in 2009, and its part 2 was dropped in 2012 and the 3rd was dropped in 2016.
MI Abaga signed onto ‘Chocolate City Records’ and then relocated to Abuja. His relocation marked the beginning of something new in his career as his popularity and fan base grew in leaps and bounds .
He co-owned a music production label called ‘Rytchus era’ with his brother, Jesse Jagz. Over the years M.I Abaga has released incredible albums some of which are; ‘Talk about it’ which was dropped in 2008.
In 2010, he released another album titled ‘MI2’. Another album titled ‘Chairman’ was released in 2014 and then the compilation albums titled ‘The Indestructible Choc Boiz Nation’ with the Chocolate City Boyz in 2015. He also released mix tapes for ‘Illegal Music 1 in 2009, ‘Illegal Music 2 in 2012 and ‘Illegal Music 3- The Finale in 2016.
NOMINATIONS AND AWARDS
He has had several awards and nominations for his exploits in the industry some of which are;
- 2015, The Headies- Best Rap Album , Chairman (Won)
- 2010, Orange Hall of Fame- Most Amiable Brand
- 2010, Malaysian African Entertainment Awards- Musician of the Year
- 2010, City People Entertainment Awards- Musician of the Year
- 2010, Future Awards- Musician of the Year
- 2009, NMVA- Best Use of Special Effects in Video
- 2009, MTV Africa Music Awards- Best New Act
- 2008, Mode-men Awards- Musician of the Year
- 2008, Hip Hop World Awards- Best Rap Single
- 2009, Nigerian Entertainment Awards- Best New Act of the Year
- 2009, Hip Hop World Awards- Hip Hop Revelation including Best Rap Album
- 2015, The Headies- Best Rap Album (Nominated)
- 2011, Diaspora Professional Dubai- Artiste of the Year (Won)
- 2011, The Headies- Album of the Year (M.I2)
- 2010, BET Awards- Best International Act
- 2010, Hip Hop World Awards- Lyricist on the Roll
MI Abaga signed an endorsement deal with the telecommunication giant, Globacom amongst other notable deals which some multinationals.
MI Abaga NET WORTH
MI Abaga is estimated to have a net worth of about $3.9 million dollars and this has made him one of the richest and influential artistes in the Nigerian music industry and in Africa.