Sarkodie remains one of the most influential Ghanaian based artists in the globe. The artist, whose full name is Michael Owusu Ado is a rapper, songwriter, stage performer and singer. Sarkodie raps mainly in his native language Twi making him a phenomenal talent, with an ability to get people nodding to his music, even when they cannot sing accurately along.
Sarkodie was born on the 10th of July 1988 in Tema Ghana. He is the fourth child in his family of five and passed through the walls of education from the primary, secondary and tertiary institution. Sarkodie heralds a degree in Graphic design.
Sarkodie’s first appearance in the Music Industry came with his evolution of the status of an underground rapper in 2007. Before this, he was well known by his friends and family as a gifted rapper.
He appeared on the Adom FM’s popular rapper competition, and it was at this event that he met Duncan Williams of Duncwills Entertainment who later became his manager.
Also at the competition, he met musicians like Edem and Castro, who introduced him to Hammer, a renowned record producer and CEO of Three Last Two Entertainments. Hammer featured Sarkodie two songs alongside his Volta Regime Album.
With this exposure, Sarkodie released his first studio album “Makye” which featured one of his hit singles “Baby.” This song became much loved among Ghanaians earning him an impressive entry into the Ghanaian Music Industry. He is currently signed to the Duncwills Entertainment and Sarkcess Music label.
Sarkodie’s top collaborations with Nigerian artists include, “No Kissing Baby” with Patoranking, “Pon Di Ting” with Banky W, ” No Ordinary Love” with Tiwa Savage, ” Ego” with Yemi Alade and ” Annointing” with Mr Eazi.
Sarkodie has won many different awards in the Music Industry across the globe. Some of these awards recorded include:
- *In 2012, Sarkodie received an award for the Best International Act in the African category at the 2012 BET Awards.
- In 2013, Lynx Tv ranked him 1st on the Top ten Ghanaian acts
- He has been ranked 8th on Forbes and Channel O’, 2013 and 2015 list him as one of the top 10 most Richest and Bankable Artiste in Africa.
- *In 2014, he received a nomination for the Best International Act at the BET Awards. he was also ranked 6th hottest African MCs in 2014.
- *In 2015, Sarkodie was ranked 19th most influential Ghanaian by Etv Ghana. He is also known for being the pioneer for the Azonto genre and dance. He is the fastest rapper in Africa and features among the titles of the greatest hip-hop artists In Africa.
- *In 2015, he was ranked among the top five Hip Hop acts on the African Africa Ranking.com also ranked him 3rd on the list of top ten African rappers in 2015.
- In 2018, Sarkodie received an award for Best Collaboration category for his song “painkiller” in which he featured Runtown. This award was given at the Sound City MVP Awards, which was held at Eko hotels and suites.
Sarkodie is currently one of the wealthiest music artistes in Ghana with a net worth of $10 million.